Monday 2 April 2012

Weekend project

      When I was little I used to dye eggs every Easter. Then, for a long while, I didn't. I remember wanting to use those glitter kits to dye my eggs, which I did once, then my mom said "no more!" because Im sure they made a huge mess- Glitter everywhere.
      Last year my cousin, aunt and I got together and decorated them.... and it was totally fun- I tried podgeting (aka decopouge) eggs with decorative napkins (which turned out nice) and this year we are going to try all natural dyes that we make ourselves. I thought I would share some recipes that I found on-line: 

Pink: Cut up a beet and add to 4 cups of boiling water. Stir in 2tbs. vinegar and cool to room temperature. Remove beets.
Blue: Cut 1/4 head of red cabbage into chunks and add to 4 cups of boiling water. Stir in 2tbs. vinegar. Let cool, remove cabbage. 
Orange: Take the skins of 6 yellow onions  and simmer in 2 cups of water for 15 minutes.
Brown gold: Simmer 2 tbs. of dill seed (may be called Anath seed) in 1 cup of water for 15 minutes. Add 2 tsp. of white vinegar.
Brown: Add 2 tbs. of vinegar to 1 cup of strong coffee.
Lavender: Mix 1 cup of grape juice with 1 tbs. of white vinegar. Drop egg in and leave it over night. It may get a frothy substance on top... take the egg out and rinse...it should be speckled. 


Recipies from: http://www.bhg.com/holidays/easter/eggs/natural-easter-egg-dyes/


Im SO excited to try these! 








No comments:

Post a Comment