Tuesday 17 April 2012

Current Read

       Along with having a knitting project always on the go, I always have a good book on the go. Right now I am reading "Orange is the New Black" by Piper Kerman. I came across this book one day while looking in the biography section at the book store. I have yet to get into biography's but decided one day to take a look.
     This book is a memoir about a woman (Piper Kerman) who spend a year in a women's prison. At an early age she got into drug trafficking (for a short period of time) and ten years later she was caught (after she had forgotten about it and moved on). I'm quite enjoying the book, its not what I thought it would be because I thought she would be talking about her experience in a negative way but she doesn't describe it as such. She explains the relationships that she built in prison with the other women and what she learned about herself.
     The only thing I would say negatively about the book is that it makes prison time seem not so bad after all (which I'm sure isn't true). There doesn't seem to be any abuse in the prison she's in (for the most part- with the exception of some verbal abuse by authority etc..)and all the women are friends. Realistic? I'm not sure. One thing that I learned from reading this book is that the prison system's reentery into society program is very poor and it does not teach the women enough about reentering society as needed. Some of the women after relese, have no money, no family, and no where to go; they would rather be in prison still because at least there they have friends, a bed, a prision job etc. I found it sad and that the prision system lacks in this particular area; Often once a woman is relased she feels lost out on her own.
     I like this book because it gives the reader a good look into the lives of other women and it's rather touching at certain times (but not in a i'm going to cry way). I recommend checking it out.



No comments:

Post a Comment