Friday 13 April 2012

My inner hippy

        If I had a way back machine, I would travel to the 1970's. This morning I thought I would find some information on 1970's interior design and relate it to modern interiors today.  

Colours used:
Note that orange is the "it" colour right now as written in previous post
  • Green
  • Gold
  • Orange
  • Brown
  • Cream
  • Chrome and polished steel in combination with red, blue, and yellow
Flooring:
  • Timber flooring became popular again (I looked it up and its actually quite nice)
  • Shag carpet
  • Rubber flooring was introduced into residential homes (where as before it was used in a more industrial setting)
Lighting:
  • Clear glass cube lamps
  • Innovations with the dimmer switch, fibre optics, track lighting, and low watt lamps
  • The Colleoni Lamp (for Knoll) designed by Vico Magistretti
  • The Panthella Lamp by Verner Panto (Image below of modern Panthella influenced lamp)

        

Furniture:
  • 1st Modular seating system by Burkhard Vogtherr (made in 1971)
  • Frank Gehry's "Easy Edges" furniture (Image below)
  • Designers used plastic materials due to the oil crisis of 1973

Walls:
Today wallpaper has made its way back into residential design. Rather then papering all walls in a print, most people are choosing to use it as a focal wall. I love the paper that I have shown below.
  • Large prints- influenced by the 1920's and 30's
  • Metallic wallpapers
  • Muted/dull colours
  • Wood paneling
Information from: http://lifestyle.ezinemark.com/retro-1970-s-interior-design-16ab97ea5db.html



 Here are some modern interiors that I like that have a 1970's influence:























No comments:

Post a Comment