Wednesday 9 May 2012

Wax and Maggie

      I've been a bad blogger the last week I know. The new job has tied me up and it was just to much to blog this week. That being said.. lets get back to it! (Or at least I will try). 
      My friend Maggie is an encaustic painting artist. She mentioned me in her blog last week so I thought I would mention her, return the kind gesture, and help promote her super cool art. If you don't already know what encaustic is, its "painting" with wax. Often encaustic artists choose to use it as a method of collage-ing (is that a word?!), but it can also be used to look like a painting and can be moulded to make 3D shapes. Last summer I took a course on encaustic painting because I thought I would really like it...turns out I didn't lol. It looks really really neat, but after many attempts painting, just isn't for me. It was very time consuming and tried my patience to say the least. I shall stick to the tried and true knitting. I found it to be very technical almost- The wax has to be a certain temperature and you have to act pretty quickly to get the look you want and we didn't get to do collage paintings which is why I was interested in the first place. The one thing I did like about it is that it can never really be finished. You can always heat up the wax and change around the wax and if you make a mistake its very forgiving in that way. For those who enjoyed encaustic enough to continue with it like my friend Maggie and the instructor (his work is amazing) that I had last summer... here are their links:

http://www.brunocapolongo.com/  (My instructor)
http://encausticevolution.blogspot.ca/ (Maggie)

Here are some images of encaustic painting:


*By Maggie


*The Art that made me want to take encaustic (These are by my instructor)










No comments:

Post a Comment