Wednesday 28 March 2012

My equation

     Something has really been annoying me- Urban Sprawl. Thinking about my post from yesterday, I am more aware of how much urban sprawl is taking over and how much I disagree with it. Cookie cutter house + teeny tiny amounts of land for each home + box stores + traffic = ugly. Why is it, that this equation is a desirable living environment? What is it that people enjoy about this? When did having a cute little home, with a medium sized yard, and a home with character become less desirable? If I could be somewhere beautiful (with beautiful scenery, fresh air, nature sounds vrs traffic sounds and houses that are more then 8feet apart).... 
     The following is a quote from the David Suzuki website: "Sprawl consumes large quantities of land, segregates house from shops and workplaces, depends on cars, and has little regard for the natural environment. In some parts of Canada, sprawl is the largest driver of greenhouse gas emissions." I am not the tree hugger I would like to be, but I do acknowledge the damage that urban sprawl is creating for our planet. Perhaps one day we can go back to quality vrs quantity and actually think about our living environments
     Just something to think about for today- Lets take a minute to be individuals, realize that an astroturf lawn is absurd, and that you don't have to compete with your neighbour to see how close you really can get to their property with out actually being on it. Too many road ways, too many houses, too much noise, too much pollution, to much of the same. 
     
The house shown below is by Architecktur-Werkstatt Haderer:





Images from:









No comments:

Post a Comment