Tuesday 10 July 2012

1950's Photographer

     Today at work I was asked to do some research on 1950's design as there may be a client, who's a photographer, looking to design her photography studio in a 1950's style. In doing this, I came across a photographer named Vivian Maier. 
   I found some inspiration in this and thought it would be interesting to design a wall of black and white images by Vivan Maier against a coloured wall so I began looking at some of her photos. May I also note that I love the 50's (not like tacky diner style 50's with poodles and black and white checkered flooring) but just the whole ideal and lifestyle of the 50's. To me her images really captured that time. 
     Vivan Maier has an interesting story (don't worry I will make it short). She was a nanny (who grew up in France and moved to NY, and didn't have a lot of money) but loved taking pictures in her spare time. She took thousands of pictures during the 50's and for decades after (100,000 to be exact) and stashed the negatives in a "locker" that she had at her apartment. In 2007 they were discovered at an auction two years before she died. What I like most about this story is that she wasn't trying. She wasn't trying to be a famous photographer, she just loved taking pictures.. and they are amazing.
Here are some of her photo's:


*Note: ALL photos are Vivian Maier's and come from the following link-
http://www.vivianmaier.com/





  

No comments:

Post a Comment